“Hockey is Hockey” Day to host Collegiate Inline Hockey Alumni Game & Draft Night
Hockey Is Hockey is a festive event series serving as a celebration of the game we love and a tribute to our grassroots, featuring several hockey programs - Ball, Ice, Inline Hockey and more - throughout the weekend. For all ages and skill levels, this year’s event drops the puck with Friday night’s DRAFT NIGHT. Draft Night will host player drafts for our High School Prospects Inline Hockey Game, Collegiate Inline Hockey Alumni Game, and our Main Event Pro Inline Hockey Game. This night will also include a “For The Kids” Meet & Greet The Pros and local media coverage. Coaching staffs for Draft Night will include NHL alumni/players, Pro/Travel inline coaches, Collegiate and High School inline coaches, and Junior ice coaches.
Saturday, Hockey Is Hockey Day, features a Youth Ball Hockey Skills Session, Youth and Adult Inline Hockey Games, a Boys Ice Clinic, Girls Ice Clinic, a youth Inline “Skate With The Pros” session, a Public Ice Skating Session, a Collegiate Inline Hockey Alumni Game, a High School Prospects Inline Hockey Game, sponsors and vendors, media, music, food, entertainment, and more...
All leading up to Saturday night's Main Event; An Outdoor Professional Exhibition Inline Hockey Game under the lights and featuring an extended game format with 40-50 local players of the following levels: NHL, AHL & Minor Leagues, NCAA Division I-III, ACHA, Juniors, Professional Inline, NCRHA, Team USA/Canada Inline and Travel Inline. The Main Event Pro Inline Game rosters will include the following NCRHA Alumni and possibly more:
- Greg Thompson (Lindenwood/IIHF Inline Team USA Captain)
- John McGuinness (Lindenwood)
- Gene Gsell (Towson)
- Jon Mosenson (Hofstra/FIRS Team USA)
- Matt Ketcham (Hofstra/Suffolk CC)
- Jared Occhicone (Hofstra)
- AJ Frey (Hofstra)
- Pat Rosa (Hofstra)
- Rowan Porter (Tampa)
- Jim Tamburino (Towson/Stonybrook)
Current NCRHA players playing in the game include PJ DiMartino, Tyler Kraft, and Shane Fox. High School standout, Max Halvorsen, has also been invited to play. Also, keep your heads up because NHL Alumni Arron Asham is returning to lace them up again this year and we have also reached out to a number of current NHL players and alumni that may be able to join us.
The Collegiate Inline Hockey Alumni Game welcomes all NCRHA alumni members to register and participate. The cost per player will be $25 which will cover event costs for the game, Draft Night, and welcomes you to all event programs throughout the weekend. Your game will be played on the facility’s state-of-the-art outdoor rink, which has a smooth roll-on surface, plexi-glass and professional netting, along with locker rooms and showers. All players are also invited to the Hockey Is Hockey After-Party which will be hosted at a TBD venue following the Main Event Pro Inline Game on Saturday evening. All interested players are asked to fill out the registration form and sign up at www.HockeyIsHockey.com.
Hockey Is Hockey supporter and NHL All-Star Bobby Ryan recently shared his thoughts on the event.
“Growing up playing both inline and ice hockey gave me the chance to develop my skills in many different ways. I firmly believe inline hockey made me more skilled and is a major reason for my success on the ice. Hockey is Hockey is a great event to recognize that and pay tribute to all forms of hockey that we played throughout our childhood.”
The event will also feature several company sponsors and support from organizations such as Alkali Hockey, State Wars Hockey, Anti3 Protect Series, Jaguar, and more. Alkali Hockey is a proud presenting sponsor of Hockey is Hockey and will provide jerseys for the Main Event Pro Inline Game. Company founder, Joe Cook, sums it all up.
“As a former professional ice and inline player, the head coach of both youth AAA ice and inline teams, and the USA National Inline Team, I strongly believe that all players can benefit from playing ice and inline hockey. There are hundreds of current and past NHL, collegiate, and other professional ice hockey players that play inline hockey. As an owner of Alkali Hockey, I am very excited to be a part of the Hockey Is Hockey event and we are proud to support the celebration.”
Hockey Is Hockey Co-Founder, Joe Tamburino, stated, “Hockey will always be an important part of my life. The great people and everlasting friendships along the way are what makes it so special for me. That’s what this event is all about. Anyone who has played the game on any level can surely relate.”
“That’s what it’s all about,” Co-Founder and brother, Jim Tamburino, added, “It’s about bringing all of those people we’ve met along the way – teammates, opponents, coaches, supporters – together to celebrate the game we all love, and hopefully gain some new hockey fans and friends as well. Along with the friendships we’ve made, we have also created lifelong memories from the experiences this game has brought us and this is an event to pay tribute to that. Whether it’s been out on the ice, on our inline hockey skates, or simply putting a hockey stick in our hands as kids and playing ball hockey, it truly has been a great game for us.”
All players, families and friends are invited as the festivities will begin on Draft Night on Friday, August 12th, 2016, at 6:30pm in the Grand Lobby at Northwell Health Ice Center. The Collegiate Inline Hockey Alumni Player Draft will begin at 9:30p.m.
Please visit www.HockeyIsHockey.com for more information and registration.
TENTATIVE EVENT SCHEDULE
Friday, August 12, 2016
- 6:30pm - High School Prospects Inline Hockey Game Player Draft (6:45-7:30pm - Youth Players Check-in)
- 7:30pm - “For The Kids” Meet & Greet The Pros
- 8pm - The Main Event Elite Inline Hockey Game Player Draft
- 9:30pm - Collegiate Inline Hockey Alumni Game Player Draft
Saturday, August 13, 2016
HOCKEY IS HOCKEY DAY
- 9am-11:45am - Youth Games TBD; Open Inline Hockey TBD
- 12-1pm - Youth Inline "Skate With The Pros & Team USA/Canada Members"
- 12-2pm - Public Ice Skating Session
- 1-2pm – Youth Ball Hockey Skills
- 2-3:30pm – “The Pioneer” Inline Hockey Game (an inline hockey game featuring a group of "old-timers" from the neighborhood who share their passion for the game 52 weeks a year and who also serve as a great example as a tribute to our grassroots)
- 3-4pm - Ice Hockey Goalie Clinic, hosted by Goaltending Coach, Mike Orth
- 4-5:30pm - Collegiate Inline Hockey Alumni Game (featuring National Collegiate Roller Hockey Association alumni members)
- *Please note that an additional game or additional time may be added depending on the amount of registered players.
- 4:15-5:15pm - Girls Ice Hockey Clinic
- 5:30-6:45pm – High School Prospects Inline Hockey Game (featuring the best of the best in Long Island High School Inline Hockey)
- 6:45pm - Floor Cleaning
- 7pm-10pm – The Main Event Elite Inline Hockey Game (featuring 40-50 players of the following levels: NHL, AHL & minor leagues, NCAA, ACHA, Junior Ice Hockey, Professional Inline, NCRHA, Team USA Inline, Travel Inline)
*In case of inclement weather, all outdoor programs (Ball & Inline Hockey) will be played at Skate Safe America in Old Bethpage, NY, if needed.